Abu Dhabi’s Adnoc ‘open’ to more partners at onshore oil fields

Abu Dhabi National Oil Co. is willing to accept additional partners at its main onshore fields, a senior company official said, almost a year after awarding less than half the production rights it offered for the deposits in a bidding round. The Arabian Gulf emirate, which holds about 6% of proven global oil reserves, is investing to boost output capacity to 3.5 million barrels a day of oil by 2017 from about 3 million currently. Total SA of France won a 10% stake in Abu Dhabi’s onshore joint venture, but other former partners in the project including Exxon Mobil Corp., BP Plc and Royal Dutch Shell Plc either declined to bid or wouldn’t meet Adnoc’s terms. “The door is open, if they can meet the technical and commercial requirements,” Abdul Munim Al Kindy, Adnoc’s director of exploration and production, said Tuesday on the sidelines of an event in Abu Dhabi. Al Kindy earlier this month left his role running the joint venture that operates the onshore concession to take over as head of exploration at Adnoc. Al Kindy’s appointment was one of the first major personnel changes by Sultan Al Jaber, who became Adnoc’s new director general last month. Under Al Jaber, the company will focus on controlling costs and boosting production of natural gas as the sheikhdom seeks more of the fuel to run power plants and enhance recovery at oil fields, Al Kindy said. Adnoc awarded a combined share of 18% of the onshore oil concession to foreign partners last year. That leaves 22% of the venture to be awarded to foreign firms if Abu Dhabi decides to maintain its 60% interest. Aside from Total, Adnoc’s other partners are Inpex Corp. of Japan, with a 5% stake, and South Korea’s GS Energy Corp., with 3%. (By Anthony DiPaola/Bloomberg with assistance from Mahmoud Habboush)

More from Business

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.

  • Shares bruised, dollar crumbles as Trump tariffs stir recession fears

    Stocks limped to the end of the week on Friday, the dollar was set for its worst week in a month while gold flirted with a record peak as investors feared US President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs would tip the global economy into a recession.

  • Wall Street futures sink as tariffs fuel recession fears

    US stock index futures tumbled on Thursday after President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs on major trade partners heightened fears of an all-out trade war that could push the global economy into a recession.

News