Airbus to cut up to 2,500 jobs in defence and space

File picture

Airbus plans to cut up to 2,500 posts in its Defence & Space division after spiralling losses on satellite projects, sources said on Wednesday.

The European planemaker aims to implement the cuts, which represent seven per cent of its workforce in the Defence & Space unit, by the middle of 2026, they said, asking not to be identified on measures that have not yet been publicly announced.

Airbus declined to comment.

Airbus builds satellites, transport planes and has key shares in European missile, fighter and space launch programmes.

Its business has been hit by heavy charges in space systems, including OneSat, and delays and rising costs in defence.

The job cuts, first reported by French news agency AFP, follow a longstanding efficiency review in the defence and space business, code-named ATOM.

Airbus has also been drawing up a specific turnaround plan for its struggling Space Systems business, without waiting for the outcome of recent satellite consolidation talks that include Italy's Leonardo as well as France's Thales.

But the job cuts will not be confined purely to the space business, which has had 1.5 billion euros (AED 6 billion) in charges in recent quarters, the sources said.

Reuters reported in July that Airbus had launched an urgent cash containment plan across the wider Defence and Space unit, where managers have declared the cost situation "critical".

CEO Guillaume Faury told reporters earlier this year that Airbus was looking at opportunities to create scale in defence, space and particularly satellites where traditional players have been heavily disrupted by the success of new constellations.

More from Business

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.

  • Shares bruised, dollar crumbles as Trump tariffs stir recession fears

    Stocks limped to the end of the week on Friday, the dollar was set for its worst week in a month while gold flirted with a record peak as investors feared US President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs would tip the global economy into a recession.

  • Wall Street futures sink as tariffs fuel recession fears

    US stock index futures tumbled on Thursday after President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs on major trade partners heightened fears of an all-out trade war that could push the global economy into a recession.

News