BP sees signs of growth as oil prices rise after two-year slump

BP Plc sees signs of growth in 2017 following more than two years of an oil slump that hammered its earnings. Oil’s slide forced BP to reduce spending by billions of dollars, delay projects and cut thousands of jobs as it was also shrinking by a third to pay for the fatal 2010 Gulf of Mexico spill. Conditions turned around this month after Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) and 11 other nations agreed to cut oil production for the first time in 15 years in an effort to pull the industry out of the downturn. “It’s time for BP to start growing,” BP Chief Executive Officer Bob Dudley said Saturday in a Bloomberg Television interview in Abu Dhabi. “Now that we’ve walked through so many difficulties in the US, that I think the company now is well positioned for growth.” The UK’s second-biggest oil company plans to start seven to eight major projects next year as oil prices recover, Dudley said. Companies have mothballed projects in the past two years to protect their balance sheets, prompting many officials including Saudi Arabian Oil Minister Khalid Al-Falih to say a supply shortfall is possible later this decade. The challenge for big companies is to keep costs down when prices rise and demand for projects increases. BP has said it can cover its spending and dividends without having to borrow with Brent oil at $50 to $55 per barrel next year, down from an earlier estimate of $60. Benchmark oil prices closed at $55.21 on Friday, climbing 19 per cent since the OPEC decided on November 30 to cut production by 1.2 million barrels a day. Prices averaged less than $45 a barrel this year compared with $108 in 2013. BP’s adjusted earnings have fallen year-over-year for nine consecutive quarters because of oil’s slump. The company will trim capital expenditure to about $16 billion this year, from a previous estimate of less than $17 billion, it said last month. OPEC’s oil ministers have said a price of $60 a barrel would be acceptable to everyone. (Mahmoud Habboush, Tracy Alloway and Rakteem Katakey/Bloomberg)

More from Business

  • US starts collecting Trump's new 10% tariff

    U.S. customs agents began collecting President Donald Trump's unilateral 10% tariff on all imports from many countries on Saturday, with higher levies on goods from 57 larger trading partners due to start next week.

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.

  • Shares bruised, dollar crumbles as Trump tariffs stir recession fears

    Stocks limped to the end of the week on Friday, the dollar was set for its worst week in a month while gold flirted with a record peak as investors feared US President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs would tip the global economy into a recession.

News