BTG Partners said to seek Esteves’s stake as arrest extended

Andre Esteves attends the Conservation International 16th Annual New York Dinner at The Plaza Hotel on May 15, 2013 in New York City.

BTG Pactual’s partners are in talks to buy former Chief Executive Officer Andre Esteves’s controlling stake in the bank after his arrest last week, said a person with knowledge of the matter. Brazil’s Supreme Court extended the billionaire’s arrest on Sunday, his lawyer said. The partners are still trying to work out details for the purchase as they seek to insulate the bank from Esteves and stem fund withdrawals if he remains in jail, the person said, asking not to be identified because discussions are private. BTG has 64 partners, according to its website. Regulatory filings this year show he owns a 22 percent to 24 percent stake in the bank. The company had a total stock-market value of about 21.4 billion reais ($5.6 billion) on Friday. His holding also includes a so-called golden share at BTG that gives him the effective control of the firm, the person said. A BTG Pactual official declined to comment, while Esteves’s lawyer directed questions on the matter to BTG. Esteves was arrested Nov. 25 on allegations he and Senator Delcidio Amaral tried to interfere with the testimony of a former Petroleo Brasileiro SA executive who was jailed in January in the nation’s biggest corruption scandal. Esteves has denied the accusations through his lawyer. His defense team had petitioned Brazil’s Supreme Court to free the banker Sunday, when the five-day period of his arrest warrant expired, one of the billionaire’s attorneys said. Public prosecutor Rodrigo Janot asked for the extension of the arrest based on objects seized Wednesday and depositions given by those being investigated, according to a note e-mailed by his office Sunday. The office sees "an extremely grave offense" in Esteves’s conduct, according to the note. BTG appointed Persio Arida as interim CEO the same day Esteves was arrested. Still, shares of BTG tumbled 26% in Sao Paulo since Nov. 25. Clients took 4.2 billion reais ($1.1 billion) out of some of the bank’s most liquid fixed-income funds on Nov. 25 and Nov. 26, according to the latest data available on the securities regulator’s website. That represents about a third of the combined net assets of the 10 fixed-income funds listed on the bank’s website. Folha de S.Paulo reported on Saturday that the partners were considering buying Esteves’s stake. Website G1 reported earlier on Sunday that Esteves’s arrest had been extended. (By Cristiane Lucchesi and Paula Sambo/Bloomberg)

More from Business

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.

  • Shares bruised, dollar crumbles as Trump tariffs stir recession fears

    Stocks limped to the end of the week on Friday, the dollar was set for its worst week in a month while gold flirted with a record peak as investors feared US President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs would tip the global economy into a recession.

  • Wall Street futures sink as tariffs fuel recession fears

    US stock index futures tumbled on Thursday after President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs on major trade partners heightened fears of an all-out trade war that could push the global economy into a recession.

News