China tightens internet rules for Baidu and other search engines

Chinese authorities will require Baidu Inc. and other search engines to report banned content and verify advertisers’ qualifications in its latest attempt at Internet regulation. Under rules to take effect Aug. 1, search engines operating in the country will be prohibited from providing banned information in various formats including links, summaries, cached pages, associative words, related searches and relevant recommendations, the Cyberspace Administration of China said in a statement. They will also be required to report websites and applications that contain prohibited content when spotted, the regulator said. Baidu, China’s biggest search engine, has been criticized recently for misleading users with search results. The Cyberspace Administration launched an investigation earlier this year after the death of Wei Zexi, a 21-year-old computer science major, who sought out a controversial treatment advertised among search results. Baidu said it would restrict the number of sponsored posts to 30 percent of a results page and establish a 1 billion yuan ($151 million) fund to fight fraud after the death of the student. Baidu will comply fully with relevant laws and regulations as outlined by the Cyberspace Administration of China and work closely with government agencies, Internet users and the community to uphold a healthy Internet environment, the company said in an e-mailed statement. Search engines that offer paid results will need to verify advertisers’ qualifications, specify the ratio of paid results and distinguish between natural search results and advertisements, the administration said in the statement. Bloomberg/with assistance by Jun Luo

More from Business

  • US starts collecting Trump's new 10% tariff

    U.S. customs agents began collecting President Donald Trump's unilateral 10% tariff on all imports from many countries on Saturday, with higher levies on goods from 57 larger trading partners due to start next week.

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.

  • Shares bruised, dollar crumbles as Trump tariffs stir recession fears

    Stocks limped to the end of the week on Friday, the dollar was set for its worst week in a month while gold flirted with a record peak as investors feared US President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs would tip the global economy into a recession.

News