Dubai's high-end property sales undented by drop in listings, consultancy says

File Photo

The number of homes worth $10 million or more that were sold in Dubai held steady in the first half of the year despite a drop in listings, an industry report showed, as demand from the international ultra-rich stayed strong.

A total of 190 homes worth an overall $3.2 billion were sold in the six months to end June compared with 189 properties for $3.3 billion in the same period of 2023, according to provisional data from property consultancy Knight Frank.

The total number of deals held up despite a 65.5 per cent year-on-year drop in the number of such luxury homes available on the market in the second quarter, the report showed.

"This is a strong sign of the 'buy-to-hold' buyer profile that has taken root in the market," Faisal Durrani, Knight Frank's head of research for Middle East and North Africa (MENA), was quoted as saying in the report.

Speaking on Dubai Eye 103.8's Business Breakfast, he said the trend suggests international high-net worth individuals are largely focused on purchasing homes in the city for personal use, rather than to 'flip', which was a defining feature of the previous two market cycles.

He said they know this as they secure properties in areas like Palm Jumeirah for record prices and then spend the same amount again on refurbishment, very strongly indicating they are buying properties for personal reasons.

Under a 10-year plan known as D33, Dubai is seeking to grow its economy by investing in tourism, turning its local financial centre into one of the top four globally and by attracting foreign capital, including into real estate, with property purchase and rental prices showing no signs of fizzling out.

It is also becoming a preferred wealth hub for many entrepreneurs and rich families in Asia, launching a "family wealth centre" last year to help wealthy individuals and businesses deal with cultural issues and governance.

The Knight Frank report showed Palm Jumeirah was the most sought-after area, recording 21 sales of homes worth $10 million or more in the second quarter, accounting for 26 per cent of sales in the period.

It was followed by Emirates Hills with 10 per cent and the District One area with 7.8 per cent of such deals.

Sales of properties worth $25 million or more jumped 25 per cent in the second quarter compared with the first three months of the year to a total of 15 homes.

Last year Dubai ranked first globally for the number of home sales above $10 million, selling nearly 80 per cent more such properties than second-placed London.

More from Business

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.

  • Shares bruised, dollar crumbles as Trump tariffs stir recession fears

    Stocks limped to the end of the week on Friday, the dollar was set for its worst week in a month while gold flirted with a record peak as investors feared US President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs would tip the global economy into a recession.

  • Wall Street futures sink as tariffs fuel recession fears

    US stock index futures tumbled on Thursday after President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs on major trade partners heightened fears of an all-out trade war that could push the global economy into a recession.

News