Elon Musk claims OpenAI exists because of him, 'I came up with the name'

File picture

Tesla CEO Elon Musk asserted in a media interview that he played a pivotal role in the creation of OpenAI, claiming he is "the reason that OpenAI exists".

Musk, referring to his past investment in the organisation, disputed Microsoft's control over the AI company, a claim vehemently denied by Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella.

During an interview with CNBC, he stated, "I came up with the name" and emphasised his involvement in recruiting key scientists and engineers for OpenAI.

Musk had previously maintained that Microsoft held control over OpenAI and expressed scepticism about OpenAI's capped-profit model. Musk, who initially pledged $1 billion in support for the AI startup, later withdrew his investment due to disagreements regarding the pace of OpenAI's advancements. He eventually invested around $50 million in the project.

Musk also raised concerns about OpenAI's approach to safe AI development. While he signed an open letter in March calling for a halt in advanced AI development until safeguards were established, Musk admitted that he was aware the letter was unlikely to have any significant impact. Surprisingly, in April, Musk founded a competing AI firm named X.AI, despite his involvement in the warning letter.

He clarified that signing the cautionary letter was a step he took "for the record," although OpenAI was not immediately available for comment on his remarks.

In a separate discussion with Faber, Musk revealed his previous friendship with Google co-founder Larry Page and their extensive conversations about artificial intelligence. He claimed that Page displayed a nonchalant attitude towards AI, expressing a lack of concern for AI safety. Musk pointed to an incident where Page allegedly referred to him as a "species-ist" for advocating human consciousness over machine consciousness.

Neither Larry Page nor OpenAI have responded to Musk's claims. 

More from Business

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.

  • Shares bruised, dollar crumbles as Trump tariffs stir recession fears

    Stocks limped to the end of the week on Friday, the dollar was set for its worst week in a month while gold flirted with a record peak as investors feared US President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs would tip the global economy into a recession.

  • Wall Street futures sink as tariffs fuel recession fears

    US stock index futures tumbled on Thursday after President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs on major trade partners heightened fears of an all-out trade war that could push the global economy into a recession.

News