European Commission accuses Google of antitrust violations in ad services

File picture

The European Commission formally notified Google of its preliminary finding that the tech giant has violated EU antitrust regulations by favouring its own online display advertising technology (ad tech) services, thereby harming competitors.

In the European market, Google's ad tech tools, namely DoubleClick For Publishers (DFP), Google Ads and 'DV360' (its ad-buying tools), maintain a dominant position. This is the focal point of concern for the EU. The alleged misconduct by Google is seen as a violation of Article 102 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union (TFEU), which prohibits the abuse of a dominant market position.

It is worth noting that Google's ad tech business has already faced scrutiny in the United States earlier this year. The US Department of Justice asserted that Google's anti-competitive practices "forced key competitors to abandon the market for ad tech tools, dissuaded potential competitors from joining the market, and left Google's few remaining competitors marginalised and unfairly disadvantaged". It is reasonable to assume that such practices could have similar repercussions in the EU and other regions.

According to the European Commission, the only viable approach to address this conflict is to take action against Google's alleged antitrust violations in the ad tech sector. The investigation will continue, affording Google the opportunity to respond to the preliminary findings and present its defence. If the Commission's concerns are substantiated, Google could potentially face severe penalties and be required to modify its business practices in order to restore fair competition within the European ad tech market.

More from Business

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.

  • Shares bruised, dollar crumbles as Trump tariffs stir recession fears

    Stocks limped to the end of the week on Friday, the dollar was set for its worst week in a month while gold flirted with a record peak as investors feared US President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs would tip the global economy into a recession.

  • Wall Street futures sink as tariffs fuel recession fears

    US stock index futures tumbled on Thursday after President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs on major trade partners heightened fears of an all-out trade war that could push the global economy into a recession.

News