GM said to plan $1 billion US investment in nod to Trump

General Motors Co. will invest $1 billion in US plants as part of a previously announced factory retooling for future models, a person familiar with the matter said, as President-elect Donald Trump pressures car-makers to boost spending and hiring. The largest US automaker will create or retain 1,000 jobs at several existing facilities, said the person, who asked not to be named ahead of an announcement expected Tuesday. The plans from Detroit-based GM follow similar moves by rivals Ford Motor Co. and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV, both of which said last week they would expand in the US after Trump threatened for months to slap Mexico-built vehicles with a 35 per cent import tax. Automakers are eager to cooperate with the incoming administration as they prepare to ask for favours including less-stringent fuel economy rules and lower corporate taxes. In GM’s case, the company probably would have announced the plans at a later date, but accelerated the timing due to Trump, the person said. Less than two minutes into his first formal press conference after the November election, Trump on Wednesday highlighted Ford’s plans to cancel a $1.6 billion factory in Mexico and expand an existing plant in Michigan. Fiat Chrysler committed $1 billion toward building three new Jeeps in the US and enabling a Michigan facility to build a Ram pickup now produced in Mexico. “I hope that General Motors will be following and I think they will be,” Trump said Wednesday at Trump Tower in Manhattan. “I think a lot of people will be following. I think a lot of industries are going to be coming back.” (David Welch/Bloomberg)

More from Business

  • US starts collecting Trump's new 10% tariff

    U.S. customs agents began collecting President Donald Trump's unilateral 10% tariff on all imports from many countries on Saturday, with higher levies on goods from 57 larger trading partners due to start next week.

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.

  • Shares bruised, dollar crumbles as Trump tariffs stir recession fears

    Stocks limped to the end of the week on Friday, the dollar was set for its worst week in a month while gold flirted with a record peak as investors feared US President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs would tip the global economy into a recession.

News