Google rolls out 'silent fix' for Pixel phones' battery drain issue

Shutterstock

Excessive battery drainage issues have plagued a number of Pixel users in the wake of a recent Google app update, prompting numerous complaints and concerns.

Reports of overheating devices and battery depletion at double the usual rate flooded Reddit and Google's support forums. The root cause of the problem was identified as the Google app itself, the tech giant later confirmed on its support forums.

Thankfully, Google has taken action to address the issue by implementing a server-side fix for the Google app. In a statement provided to 9to5Google, the company acknowledged that a "subset of Android devices" had been affected and assured users that the latest update would restore normal battery performance: "A recent Google App backend change unintentionally resulted in a subset of Android devices experiencing accelerated battery drain. We rolled out a fix shortly after becoming aware of the issue, and impacted users should see their devices return to normal behavior immediately. This fix does not require an app update."

Notably, the resolution does not entail a software update for Pixel devices. Instead, Google has deployed the fix directly on its servers, which has already been silently distributed to affected users. Leveraging server-side changes, Google has the ability to control various feature flags and elements of the Google app, enabling them to address the problem in this manner.

While Google has not divulged the specific trigger behind the battery drain, Pixel owners can find solace in the knowledge that their devices should now function normally without experiencing further battery issues.

More from Business

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.

  • Shares bruised, dollar crumbles as Trump tariffs stir recession fears

    Stocks limped to the end of the week on Friday, the dollar was set for its worst week in a month while gold flirted with a record peak as investors feared US President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs would tip the global economy into a recession.

  • Wall Street futures sink as tariffs fuel recession fears

    US stock index futures tumbled on Thursday after President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs on major trade partners heightened fears of an all-out trade war that could push the global economy into a recession.

News