Microsoft employees won't be getting salary hikes this year

File picture

Microsoft to hold off on salary increases for full-time employees, CEO Satya Nadella announced in an email to staffers on Wednesday.

The move is part of the company's cost-cutting efforts as revenue growth slows and clients reduce spending.

In January, Microsoft said it would cut around 5 per cent of its workforce, or 10,000 jobs. Other tech companies such as Alphabet, Amazon and Meta have also downsized in recent months.

Last year, Microsoft almost doubled the budget for merit increases and boosted stock allocations for certain employees due to inflation rippling through the economy. However, this year's compensation will look more typical. Nadella said that the bonus and stock award budget would be maintained, but not overfunded to the extent it was last year.

Nadella stated that performance bonuses for top executives would be considerably down from last year. In April, Microsoft's Chief Financial Officer, Amy Hood, said that year-over-year revenue growth in the current quarter would slow to 6.7 per cent from 7.1 per cent in the first three months of the year. The company also called for operating expenses to grow less than 2 per cent, compared with 7.4 per cent growth in the first quarter.

In addition to Nadella's comments on pay, he highlighted Microsoft's efforts to capitalise on a growing artificial intelligence market. Nadella stated that the company was driving a major platform shift in this new era of AI while facing global macroeconomic uncertainties. Microsoft announced a multibillion-dollar investment in startup OpenAI in January, which relies on Microsoft's Azure cloud to run its viral ChatGPT chatbot and provide large language models such as GPT-4 to power apps from Microsoft and other companies. Last month, Hood said Microsoft's capital expenditures would increase quarter over quarter due to investment in Azure AI infrastructure. 

More from Business

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.

  • Shares bruised, dollar crumbles as Trump tariffs stir recession fears

    Stocks limped to the end of the week on Friday, the dollar was set for its worst week in a month while gold flirted with a record peak as investors feared US President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs would tip the global economy into a recession.

  • Wall Street futures sink as tariffs fuel recession fears

    US stock index futures tumbled on Thursday after President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs on major trade partners heightened fears of an all-out trade war that could push the global economy into a recession.

News