OPEC+ postpones output policy meeting to December 5

File Photo

The OPEC+ alliance of oil-producing countries has postponed its next meeting on output policy to December 5 from December 1 to avoid a conflict with another event, OPEC said on Thursday.

A summit of Gulf Arab countries is due to be held in Kuwait City on December 1 which several OPEC+ ministers plan to attend, OPEC said in a statement.

"Sunday does not suit everyone," a source had told Reuters before the official announcement.

Top OPEC+ ministers have held talks ahead of the meeting. OPEC+ sources have said there will be discussion over a further delay to oil output increases due to start in January.

Saudi Energy Minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman, de facto head of the Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC), on Wednesday had a phone call with Russian Deputy Prime Minister Alexander Novak and Kazakh Energy Minister Almasadam Satkaliyev while in Kazakhstan on an official visit.

Iraq, Saudi Arabia and Russia held talks in Baghdad on Tuesday.

OPEC+, which comprises OPEC and allies led by Russia pumps about half the world's oil. The group aims to gradually unwind oil production cuts through 2025 which it introduced to help support prices.

However, a slowdown in Chinese and global demand and rising output outside the group pose hurdles to that plan.

OPEC+ on November 3 again postponed its first output hike which had been set for December by one month.

More from Business

  • US starts collecting Trump's new 10% tariff

    U.S. customs agents began collecting President Donald Trump's unilateral 10% tariff on all imports from many countries on Saturday, with higher levies on goods from 57 larger trading partners due to start next week.

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.

  • Shares bruised, dollar crumbles as Trump tariffs stir recession fears

    Stocks limped to the end of the week on Friday, the dollar was set for its worst week in a month while gold flirted with a record peak as investors feared US President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs would tip the global economy into a recession.

News

  • UAE shines in global competitiveness rankings for 2025

    The UAE has maintained its rising performance in the global competitiveness race during the first quarter of 2025 by achieving advanced positions in many relevant international and regional indicators and reports.

  • UAE President marks Senegal independence day

    President His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan has sent a message of congratulations to President Bassirou Diomaye Faye of Senegal on the occasion of his country's Independence Day.

  • UAE expands cancer prevention plan

    The Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP) has reaffirmed its commitment to reducing the incidence of cervical cancer and other HPV-related diseases through a proactive national strategy.