Samsung may supply batteries to Tesla Energy, CEO Musk says

A woman looks into the Tesla store in Santa Monica, California, where customers are waiting in line to put a USD 1,000 deposit on the as yet unseen Tesla Model 3, on March 31, 2016. <br />

Tesla Motors Inc. may get batteries for its energy unit from Samsung SDI Co., Elon Musk, chief executive officer of the electric-car company, said on Twitter. After reports emerged over the past week that Samsung’s batteries might supply Tesla’s electric vehicles, Musk tweeted that Panasonic Corp., a longtime investor in the youngest publicly held U.S. automaker, will be the exclusive provider of batteries for the upcoming Model 3 small car, as it is for the Model S large sedan and Model X sport utility vehicle. Asked on Wednesday if Samsung might supply Tesla Energy, Musk replied “yes.” Samsung SDI shares rose as much as 4.1 percent to 113,500 won in Seoul following the report. Panasonic shares, which had climbed in the past two days, declined 2.7 percent on Thursday. Samsung SDI declined to comment. “We can neither provide further confirmation or comment on this issue,” the company said. Tesla Energy is the business unit that provides stationary batteries for homes, known as the Powerwall, and for businesses and utilities, known as the Powerpack. In the first quarter, it delivered more than 2,500 Powerwalls and almost 100 Powerpacks in North America, Asia, Europe and Africa, Tesla said last month. Tesla and Panasonic have a strong partnership. The Japanese electronics maker invested $30 million in Tesla in 2010 - now worth more than $300 million - and the two companies have a supply agreement for 1.8 billion cells through 2017, for both the Model S and the Model X. For the Model 3 - a more affordable electric car that promises a range of at least 215 miles (346 kilometers) per charge and start at $35,000 - the companies are jointly developing a new, slightly larger cylindrical battery cell than those used in the S and X. Panasonic is also an investor in Tesla’s gigafactory east of Reno, Nevada. A May report by the Nevada Governor’s Office of Economic Development noted that as of the end of the first quarter, Panasonic had 52 employees working at the gigafactory. By Dana Hull/Bloomberg

More from Business

  • UK's Jaguar Land Rover to halt US shipments over tariffs

    Jaguar Land Rover will pause shipments of its Britain-made cars to the United States for a month, as it considers how to mitigate the cost of President Donald Trump's 25% tariff, according to a report in the Times newspaper.

  • US starts collecting Trump's new 10% tariff

    U.S. customs agents began collecting President Donald Trump's unilateral 10% tariff on all imports from many countries on Saturday, with higher levies on goods from 57 larger trading partners due to start next week.

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.

News

  • UAE shines in global competitiveness rankings for 2025

    The UAE has maintained its rising performance in the global competitiveness race during the first quarter of 2025 by achieving advanced positions in many relevant international and regional indicators and reports.

  • UAE President marks Senegal independence day

    President His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan has sent a message of congratulations to President Bassirou Diomaye Faye of Senegal on the occasion of his country's Independence Day.

  • UAE expands cancer prevention plan

    The Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP) has reaffirmed its commitment to reducing the incidence of cervical cancer and other HPV-related diseases through a proactive national strategy.