Saudi Arabia mega deal spurs record first half for Gulf loans

HSBC Holdings Plc is back on top, Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group Inc. has tightened its grip on second place, while Sumitomo Mitsui Financial Group Inc. is slipping. But however the league table for loan arrangers in the Gulf looks, they’re all lending more than ever. In fact, the market for loans in the six-nation Gulf Cooperation Council has never looked so active, with borrowers raising about $66 billion in the busiest first half on record. The largest single deal, Saudi Arabia’s $10 billion facility, helped confirm HSBC at the top of the table and cemented the dominance of banks from outside the region at the expense of local lenders. The region’s $440 billion loans market is flourishing as cash-strapped companies and states shore up finances amid the oil slump, with larger international lenders stepping in to meet demand. The slump in crude prices in the past two years has curtailed income for energy-dependent nations across the GCC, and that’s sapped liquidity in local banks as governments withdraw deposits. “We have seen increasing participation from international lenders in loans for top-tier GCC borrowers,” said Andy Cairns, the global head of debt origination and distribution at National Bank of Abu Dhabi PJSC, Abu Dhabi’s biggest bank. “These upper-echelon names frequently command borrowing costs that are inside the funding levels of many of the regional banks. With oil below $30 in January, we also saw some leading GCC borrowers make a conscious decision to go after international liquidity.” Liquidity Tightens Deposit growth across the bloc has been outpaced by an increase in lending, driving interbank interest rates higher. In Saudi Arabia, the three-month interbank offered rate rose 67 basis points this year to 2.22273 percent on Wednesday, near the highest level in more than seven years. The loans-to-deposit ratio in Qatar climbed to 132 percent last month as government deposits dropped. HSBC was the top lender among mandated lead arrangers with about $4 billion, followed by Mitsubishi UFJ’s $3.4 billion. Sumitomo’s $2.2 billion left it in eighth, while NBAD was the only local name among the top 10, claiming ninth place by providing about $2.1 billion. It’s the most any of them have lent in a first half, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. At the end of the first quarter, HSBC had been in third place, Sumitomo held top spot and NBAD was fourth. The Abu Dhabi-based institution is exploring a merger with First Gulf Bank PJSC as the emirate seeks to create a larger lender. Bloomberg

More from Business

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.

  • Shares bruised, dollar crumbles as Trump tariffs stir recession fears

    Stocks limped to the end of the week on Friday, the dollar was set for its worst week in a month while gold flirted with a record peak as investors feared US President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs would tip the global economy into a recession.

  • Wall Street futures sink as tariffs fuel recession fears

    US stock index futures tumbled on Thursday after President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs on major trade partners heightened fears of an all-out trade war that could push the global economy into a recession.

News