Saudi wealth fund to cut overseas investments

File Picture

Saudi Arabia's sovereign wealth fund plans to cut its overseas investments by about a third, its governor told a conference in Riyadh on Tuesday, as the Kingdom taps into its resources to fund plans to wean the economy off oil.

Speaking on a panel of business, technology and finance leaders, Public Investment Fund Governor Yasir Al-Rumayyan said the sovereign wealth fund was more focused on the domestic economy and aiming to bring the fund's international investments down to between 18 per cent and 20 per cent of the total from 30 per cent.

Global business, technology and financial leaders have converged on the Saudi capital for the annual Future Investment Initiative (FII) summit, an opportunity for attendees to forge relations with some of Saudi Arabia's biggest companies and its $925 billion sovereign wealth fund.

This year, the event may also test investor appetite in Saudi Arabia's economic transformation at a time when there are fears of widening conflict in the Middle East.

The sovereign wealth fund is the main vehicle for Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman's plans to steer the Saudi economy away from oil, with investments of hundreds of billions of dollars to develop new sectors and create more sustainable revenue streams.

However, the fund has been scaling back some of its flagship "giga-projects" due to rising costs.

Al-Rumayyan said there had been a shift in the way the fund deploys its investments towards establishing joint ventures with both international and local companies.

"Now we see a shift from people who want us to invest or take our money to invest from there to co-investments," he told the conference.

Other high profile speakers on the Tuesday morning panel included Stephane Bancel, CEO of Moderna, BlackRock CEO Laurence Fink, Blackstone CEO Stephen Schwarzman and Alphabet President and CIO Ruth Porat.

Most executives on the morning panel spoke about the potential life changing impact of artificial intelligence, while Citadel CEO Ken Griffin said that markets expected Donald Trump to win the US election on November 5 but that the outcome remained "almost a coin toss".

Blackstone Group CEO Steve Schwarzman, who has endorsed Trump, initially said he wouldn't comment on the election before saying that Trump had a better understanding today of the how the presidency works than in 2016.

While the first panel made no mention of wars in the region, it was followed by a speech by economist Jeffrey Sachs of Columbia University that was critical of the United States and Israel.

"We don't need artificial intelligence in war, we need human intelligence to stop the wars," he said to applause. "We don't need more smart weapons, we need negotiations."

Sachs said Israel and the US were blocking the establishment of an independent Palestinian state.

"Until there is (a Palestinian state), there is going to be no peace in the region," he said speaking of wars in Gaza and Lebanon and concerns there may be a wider regional conflict.

More from Business

  • UK's Jaguar Land Rover to halt US shipments over tariffs

    Jaguar Land Rover will pause shipments of its Britain-made cars to the United States for a month, it said on Saturday, as it considers how to mitigate the cost of President Donald Trump's 25% tariff.

  • US starts collecting Trump's new 10% tariff

    U.S. customs agents began collecting President Donald Trump's unilateral 10% tariff on all imports from many countries on Saturday, with higher levies on goods from 57 larger trading partners due to start next week.

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.

News

  • UAE shines in global competitiveness rankings for 2025

    The UAE has maintained its rising performance in the global competitiveness race during the first quarter of 2025 by achieving advanced positions in many relevant international and regional indicators and reports.

  • UAE President marks Senegal independence day

    President His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan has sent a message of congratulations to President Bassirou Diomaye Faye of Senegal on the occasion of his country's Independence Day.

  • UAE expands cancer prevention plan

    The Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP) has reaffirmed its commitment to reducing the incidence of cervical cancer and other HPV-related diseases through a proactive national strategy.