Saudis to keep crude capacity under plan to reduce oil reliance

Saudi Arabia will maintain the same level of crude production capacity until 2020 under a new economic reform plan approved by the government on Monday to reduce the kingdom’s reliance on oil. The world’s biggest crude exporter will maintain output capacity at 12.5 million barrels a day in 2020, according to a draft of the National Transformation Program distributed to reporters in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. The program, which was approved by cabinet on Monday according to state television, stipulates a cut in water and electricity subsidies by 200 billion riyals in 2020. The kingdom’s refining capacity will rise to 3.3 million barrels a day in 2020, according to the plan. Refining capacity was at 3.1 million barrels a day at the end of last year, the state producer Saudi Arabian Oil Co. said in its annual review last month. The country will produce 4 percent of power from renewable energy sources in 2020, according to the plan. Saudi Deputy Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, the king’s influential son, announced earlier this year a plan to overhaul the nation’s economy to make it less dependent on oil revenue amid a plunge in prices due to a global glut. The plan includes selling shares in Saudi Aramco by the end of 2018 in an initial public offering that could value the company at about $2 trillion. Prince Mohammed’s approach has been forced, in part, by Saudi Arabia’s struggle to deal with oil prices that, at about $50 a barrel this week, are trading at half the average seen from 2010 through 2014. Cuts in government spending and lower subsidies on items like fuel will help trim Saudi Arabia’s budget deficit to 13.5 percent of gross domestic product this year, compared with 16.3 percent last, the International Monetary Fund said April 25. By Wael Mahdi and Vivian Nereim/Bloomberg, with assistance from Anthony DiPaola and Nour Al Ali.

More from Business

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.

  • Shares bruised, dollar crumbles as Trump tariffs stir recession fears

    Stocks limped to the end of the week on Friday, the dollar was set for its worst week in a month while gold flirted with a record peak as investors feared US President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs would tip the global economy into a recession.

  • Wall Street futures sink as tariffs fuel recession fears

    US stock index futures tumbled on Thursday after President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs on major trade partners heightened fears of an all-out trade war that could push the global economy into a recession.

News