Star Wars: The Force Awakens generates $53 million in opening weekend in China

Director J.J. Abrams attends 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' premiere at Shanghai Grand Theatre on December 27, 2015 in Shanghai, China.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens generated $53 million (AED 194.6 million) at the box office during its opening weekend in China, adding to the success of a film that’s chasing the global record set by “Avatar” about six years ago. China helped the seventh installment of the four-decade-old epic gross an estimated $145.9 million (AED 535.8 million) globally over the weekend and $1.7 billion (AED 6.24 billion) since the science-fiction movie was first released four weeks ago, according to a statement from Disney on Sunday. That makes it the third-highest grossing movie of all time behind "Avatar" and "Titanic," according to IMDb.com Inc.’s Box Office Mojo. Success in China, the world’s second-largest movie market, is becoming increasingly crucial for Hollywood studios as analysts predict ticket sales in the country will overtake those of the U.S. as soon as next year. Receipts at China’s box office surged nearly 50% last year, compared with the 7.2% growth seen in North America. For Disney, which bought the "Star Wars" franchise from George Lucas in 2012, its latest blockbuster has been a success, particularly at home. The movie zoomed past the $760.5 million (AED 2.8 billion) record set by “Avatar” to become the highest-grossing film in the U.S. and Canada in just 20 days. Still, Disney faces bigger hurdles in matching its U.S success in China and other Asian countries, where the "Star Wars" franchise isn’t as well known or have as big a following as in Western countries. For example, the movie didn’t even open as No. 1 in South Korea and Vietnam. Nomura Holdings Inc. estimates "The Force Awakens" will gross as much as 1.5 billion yuan (AED 837.4 million) in China, which would fall short of breaking records set last year. Researcher Rentrak Corp. estimates "Furious 7” generated $391.4 million (AED 1.43 billion) in the country in 2015 and “Monster Hunt,” a Chinese fantasy movie, grossed $393.2 million (AED 1.44 billion). (Bloomberg/ Grace Huang)

More from Business

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.

  • Shares bruised, dollar crumbles as Trump tariffs stir recession fears

    Stocks limped to the end of the week on Friday, the dollar was set for its worst week in a month while gold flirted with a record peak as investors feared US President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs would tip the global economy into a recession.

  • Wall Street futures sink as tariffs fuel recession fears

    US stock index futures tumbled on Thursday after President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs on major trade partners heightened fears of an all-out trade war that could push the global economy into a recession.

News