UAE billionaire Habtoor cancels investment projects in Lebanon

File Photo

The owner of UAE-based conglomerate Habtoor Group, Khalaf Al Habtoor, announced on Tuesday he has cancelled all investment projects in Lebanon due to “lack of security and stability.”

The billionaire said he will sell all his properties and investments in Lebanon, and cancel all planned investment projects. 

In a statement made before the announcement, Al Habtoor referenced the recent violence observed in southern Lebanon as residents attempted to return to their homes in defiance of Israel’s orders, as Israeli forces remained in the territory beyond the 60-day deadline agreed upon under the conditions of the ceasefire in November.

“This tragic scene prompts us to ask: Who bears responsibility for this disaster?... We thought that the state had begun to regain its role and prestige, but the painful reality tells us otherwise,” Al Habtoor said.  

He also mentioned protests held by Hezbollah in Beirut on Sunday, before the ceasefire was extended until February 18.

“These scenes bring us back to the memory of attempts to impose a fait accompli using the streets as if they were announcing that the era of chaos has not ended yet.”

Earlier this month, Lebanon’s Parliament elected army chief Joseph Aoun as president, filling a two-year vacuum. Nawaf Salam, the president of the International Court of Justice (ICJ), was subsequently named Lebanon’s prime minister and tasked with forming a government. Hezbollah opposed the election of both figures.

The election of the new officials signalled a warming of ties between the UAE and Lebanon, after years of strain.

The UAE Embassy in Beirut on Friday resumed diplomatic activities after its closure in 2021. Then-Lebanese Minister of Information, George Kardahi, accused the UAE and Saudi Arabia of being the aggressors in the Yemen war, leading to diplomatic tensions and the subsequent closure of the Emirati embassy.

Al Habtoor’s announcement comes less than a week after he expressed intentions to invest in a “large project” after a government is formed.

Al Habtoor also recently said he planned on renovating Habtoor Land, an amusement park, and Habtoor Mall, which have been closed since 2000 and 2019, respectively.

Last June, the Emirati businessman retracted his decision to launch a television channel in Lebanon, citing security risks.

As of January 2024, Al-Habtoor Group’s investments in Lebanon amounted to around $1 billion.

Al Habtoor Group last year submitted a dispute against Lebanon for reportedly breaching a bilateral treaty with the UAE, resulting in losses exceeding $1.4 billion. The country and its Central Bank “[prevented the Group] from freely transferring its funds amounting to over $44 million from the Lebanese banks,” a statement by Al Habtoor Group said.

The Group’s owner on Tuesday said the “illegal measures continue to this day,” prompting the conglomerate’s international legal team to file to legal action before international courts in London and New York.

More from Business

  • UK's Jaguar Land Rover to halt US shipments over tariffs

    Jaguar Land Rover will pause shipments of its Britain-made cars to the United States for a month, as it considers how to mitigate the cost of President Donald Trump's 25% tariff, according to a report in the Times newspaper.

  • US starts collecting Trump's new 10% tariff

    U.S. customs agents began collecting President Donald Trump's unilateral 10% tariff on all imports from many countries on Saturday, with higher levies on goods from 57 larger trading partners due to start next week.

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.

News

  • UAE shines in global competitiveness rankings for 2025

    The UAE has maintained its rising performance in the global competitiveness race during the first quarter of 2025 by achieving advanced positions in many relevant international and regional indicators and reports.

  • UAE President marks Senegal independence day

    President His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan has sent a message of congratulations to President Bassirou Diomaye Faye of Senegal on the occasion of his country's Independence Day.

  • UAE expands cancer prevention plan

    The Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP) has reaffirmed its commitment to reducing the incidence of cervical cancer and other HPV-related diseases through a proactive national strategy.