Uber’s food-delivery drivers in London plan strike on pay

Drivers for Uber’s food-delivery service in London are threatening to strike this week if wages aren’t increased -- a sign workers toiling for on-demand apps in the city are emboldened after a rival take-out service made concessions following a protest earlier this month. Hundreds of UberEats drivers plan to strike starting on Aug. 26, according to the United Voices of the World Union, which has been helping organize the food-delivery workers. The drivers will be striking over poor pay and not being classified as employees, the union said on its Facebook page. Uber and other on-demand companies rely on independent workers to provide rides, deliver food, perform fix-it jobs and other services. The workers aren’t classified as employees, freeing the companies from paying health care and other benefits. The company-contractor relationship has become increasingly fraught. Drivers for London’s popular take-out delivery service Deliveroo held a strike for several days this month to protest a change in how they were compensated, from an hourly wage to one paid per delivery. With the couriers protesting loudly outside Deliveroo’s headquarters, the company caved and said they could choose to be paid hourly. Now the workers are turning their attention to Uber. “Big things are happening people,” the union said on its page. “The times are changing. Wake up, keep up and get involved.” The workers are still formulating their demands, according to Mags Dewhurst, a union organizer. The San Francisco-based company introduced its food-delivery business in June. Drivers pick up food from local restaurants and deliver it customers ordering from their smartphones. “We’re committed to being the best option for couriers in London,” Alex Czarnecki, general manager for UberEats in London, said in a statement. “As UberEats grows, couriers are busier than ever. In fact, so far this week couriers delivering lunch and dinner have made over 10 percent more an hour than they did in the same period last week. Our office is open and our team is always available to chat to couriers.” The potential strike is among several challenges Uber is experiencing in London. Last week, the ride-hailing company sued the city’s transportation regulator to block rules that would require drivers from non-English speaking countries to pass a language exam. The measures would also force Uber to notify Transport for London of any changes made to its mobile app. Bloomberg

More from Business

  • UK's Jaguar Land Rover to halt US shipments over tariffs

    Jaguar Land Rover will pause shipments of its Britain-made cars to the United States for a month, it said on Saturday, as it considers how to mitigate the cost of President Donald Trump's 25% tariff.

  • US starts collecting Trump's new 10% tariff

    U.S. customs agents began collecting President Donald Trump's unilateral 10% tariff on all imports from many countries on Saturday, with higher levies on goods from 57 larger trading partners due to start next week.

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.

News

  • UAE shines in global competitiveness rankings for 2025

    The UAE has maintained its rising performance in the global competitiveness race during the first quarter of 2025 by achieving advanced positions in many relevant international and regional indicators and reports.

  • UAE President marks Senegal independence day

    President His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan has sent a message of congratulations to President Bassirou Diomaye Faye of Senegal on the occasion of his country's Independence Day.

  • UAE expands cancer prevention plan

    The Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP) has reaffirmed its commitment to reducing the incidence of cervical cancer and other HPV-related diseases through a proactive national strategy.