UK newspaper blocks ChatGPT from using its content

File picture

UK-based newspaper The Guardian has blocked access to its website for OpenAI, the owner of ChatGPT. 

This decision follows growing apprehensions about OpenAI's use of its crawler to scrape content from websites.

In a report published on its website last week, The Guardian cited mounting concerns that OpenAI's ChatGPT platform had been "utilising unlicensed content to fuel its AI tools," a situation that had already resulted in legal actions brought forth by writers against the company. 

This move comes on the heels of OpenAI's announcement last month that it would enable websites to prevent its web crawler from accessing their content.

Numerous other online publishers have also opted to block OpenAI's crawler. Among the notable publications being CNN, Reuters, The Washington Post, Bloomberg, The New York Times and The Athletic.

It is worth noting that the OpenAI web crawler functions by collecting information from various websites, which it then employs to assist in generating AI-generated content. Beyond the realm of news publishing, other websites have also opted to block OpenAI's crawler in an effort to safeguard their own digital assets. These include popular platforms such as Lonely Planet, Amazon, Indeed, Quora and Dictionary.com.

Earlier this week British book publishers also urged UK Prime Minister Rishi Sunak to include discussions on the protection of intellectual property rights in the agenda of an upcoming summit on AI safety scheduled to take place in November. This push for enhanced intellectual property safeguards underscores the growing concerns within the industry about the unauthorised use of digital content in the field of artificial intelligence.

More from Business

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.

  • Shares bruised, dollar crumbles as Trump tariffs stir recession fears

    Stocks limped to the end of the week on Friday, the dollar was set for its worst week in a month while gold flirted with a record peak as investors feared US President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs would tip the global economy into a recession.

  • Wall Street futures sink as tariffs fuel recession fears

    US stock index futures tumbled on Thursday after President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs on major trade partners heightened fears of an all-out trade war that could push the global economy into a recession.

News