US envoy Kerry gets COVID as climate talks head into overtime

AFP / Joseph Eid

US Special Climate Envoy John Kerry tested positive for COVID-19 in the final hours of the COP27 climate talks in Egypt, the State Department said on Friday, as tough negotiations for a final deal headed into overtime.

Kerry had been conducting bilateral meetings, including recently with his Chinese counterpart Xie Zhenhua, and was expected to use his trademark shuttle diplomacy to help bridge wide differences in the last hours of the summit.

"He is fully vaccinated and boosted and experiencing mild symptoms," State Department spokesperson Whitney Smith said in an email. "He is working with his negotiations team and foreign counterparts by phone to ensure a successful outcome of COP27."

Kerry had held a three-hour closed-door meeting with Xie on Thursday evening after public appearances and discussions with other counterparts earlier in the day, including from the European Union, Canada, and the United Arab Emirates.

During a speaking event at the conference on Thursday, Kerry opened his remarks by saying: "As you can tell from my profoundly low voice today, I have a cold. But I tested, so I'm OK."

During past UN climate summits, the final days of negotiations have been marked by a flurry of in-person meetings between high-level officials before a deal is agreed upon.

Efforts to reach the Chinese delegation at the summit were not immediately successful.

The United States and China, the world's two largest greenhouse gas emitters, resumed cooperation on climate change earlier this week after a months-long hiatus caused by tensions over Taiwan.

A European Union proposal on Friday had buoyed hopes. The bloc said it would back one of the most challenging agenda items: financing for countries wracked by climate-fuelled disasters. But with other sticking points dogging the talks, host country Egypt said a final deal was not expected before the weekend.

"I remain committed to bring this conference to a close tomorrow in an orderly manner, with the adoption of a series of consensus decisions that will be comprehensive, ambitious, and balanced," COP27 President Sameh Shoukry told reporters.

The two-week conference at the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh has tested international resolve to combat warming that has contributed to ever-worse storms, floods, droughts and wildfires.

DEAL IN SIGHT?

On Friday morning, the UN climate agency published its first official draft of the final summit deal, reaffirming past commitments to limit global warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial times to avert climate catastrophes.

But the text showed little in the way of new action like funding or guarantees that countries will act faster to slash emissions.

Global temperatures are already near the 1.5C threshold and are projected to zoom past it unless greenhouse gas emissions are cut dramatically.

In a potential breakthrough, the European Union said late on Thursday it would back the demand of the G77 group of 134 developing countries to set up a fund to help them cope with "loss and damage" already wrought by climate change.

Rich countries have for years resisted the idea for fear it could lead to limitless liability.

But it was unclear Friday if developing countries would accept the EU's stipulation that the fund aid only "the most vulnerable countries" rather than all developing countries, as they had requested.

In the EU proposal, China - a crucial member of the developing nations bloc - would help fund the aid instead of benefit from it. However, delegates were still waiting to learn how the United States and China would respond.

The climate minister for the Maldives, which faces inundation from rising seas, welcomed the proposal.

"As the lowest-lying country in the world, we are heartened by the goodwill in this room," Shauna Aminath said.

Later on Friday, a draft proposal presented by the United Kingdom was under discussion, according to multiple sources.

But it was seen as a step backwards.

"According to this proposal, we wouldn't see the fund actually operationalised until COP29 in two years' time," said Mohamed Adow of Kenya-based thinktank Powershift Africa.

"That does nothing for the victims of loss and damage who are already suffering."

Deals at COP27 must be made with support from all of the nearly 200 countries present.

Some countries, including the EU and Britain, have pushed for the overall deal in Egypt to lock in country commitments for more ambitious climate action.

Ireland's environment minister, Eamon Ryan, said countries needed to ratchet up their emissions-cutting efforts.

"It's important that we get a strong cover text," he told Reuters. "The responsibility very much will lie now with the Egyptian presidency in trying to get something that we can rally behind."

More from Business

  • UK's Jaguar Land Rover to halt US shipments over tariffs

    Jaguar Land Rover will pause shipments of its Britain-made cars to the United States for a month, it said on Saturday, as it considers how to mitigate the cost of President Donald Trump's 25% tariff.

  • US starts collecting Trump's new 10% tariff

    U.S. customs agents began collecting President Donald Trump's unilateral 10% tariff on all imports from many countries on Saturday, with higher levies on goods from 57 larger trading partners due to start next week.

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.

News

  • UAE shines in global competitiveness rankings for 2025

    The UAE has maintained its rising performance in the global competitiveness race during the first quarter of 2025 by achieving advanced positions in many relevant international and regional indicators and reports.

  • UAE President marks Senegal independence day

    President His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan has sent a message of congratulations to President Bassirou Diomaye Faye of Senegal on the occasion of his country's Independence Day.

  • UAE expands cancer prevention plan

    The Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP) has reaffirmed its commitment to reducing the incidence of cervical cancer and other HPV-related diseases through a proactive national strategy.