WhatsApp to launch cross-platform messaging integration soon

File picture

Meta has initiated the process of introducing cross-platform messaging to its popular application, WhatsApp.

This is in response to the European Union's 2024 regulations, which mandate enhanced interoperability for tech giants such as Alphabet (Google), Amazon, Apple, ByteDance, Meta and Microsoft with third-party messaging platforms.

Recent reports indicate that a novel feature, titled 'Third-party Chats,' has made its appearance on the latest beta version of WhatsApp.

According to information from WABetaInfo, the 'Third-party Chats' screen has become visible within WhatsApp's Android beta app (v2.23.19.8).

However, at this stage, users cannot yet interact with this screen. Nevertheless, this development serves as a compelling indicator that Meta is actively working to ensure compliance with the new EU Digital Markets Act, which mandates the implementation of cross-platform messaging capabilities by March 2024.

Previously, WhatsApp had launched a feature letting users sign in to their accounts from several devices simultaneously, which was widely praised for its value to users with multiple devices.

Now, this new development complements the multi-device support feature by enabling seamless chat continuation across different operating systems.

This potentially game-changing feature seeks to synchronise messages between WhatsApp's Web, Desktop, and Portal versions with different smartphones, regardless of the operating system they are powering.

In essence, users can enjoy a smooth chat experience on their iPhones, Android devices, PCs or Mac without any compatibility or synchronisation issues.

Still in the development phase, this feature is set to be introduced after its sibling feature, multi-device support, is fully optimised.

As the beta testing concludes, it won't be long before users can seamlessly transfer their chat history between phones running on different operating systems. This latest feature makes it easier for users to switch between different devices without losing their chat history.

More from Business

  • UK's Jaguar Land Rover to halt US shipments over tariffs

    Jaguar Land Rover will pause shipments of its Britain-made cars to the United States for a month, as it considers how to mitigate the cost of President Donald Trump's 25% tariff, according to a report in the Times newspaper.

  • US starts collecting Trump's new 10% tariff

    U.S. customs agents began collecting President Donald Trump's unilateral 10% tariff on all imports from many countries on Saturday, with higher levies on goods from 57 larger trading partners due to start next week.

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.

News

  • UAE shines in global competitiveness rankings for 2025

    The UAE has maintained its rising performance in the global competitiveness race during the first quarter of 2025 by achieving advanced positions in many relevant international and regional indicators and reports.

  • UAE President marks Senegal independence day

    President His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan has sent a message of congratulations to President Bassirou Diomaye Faye of Senegal on the occasion of his country's Independence Day.

  • UAE expands cancer prevention plan

    The Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP) has reaffirmed its commitment to reducing the incidence of cervical cancer and other HPV-related diseases through a proactive national strategy.