10-year-old at Japanese school in China dies after stabbing

File photo for illustration

A child enrolled in a Japanese school in Shenzhen, China, has died after being stabbed by an assailant on Wednesday, the Japanese government said.

Chinese authorities had said the victim was 10 years old and had been stabbed on the way to school on Wednesday. The suspected 44-year-old assailant was arrested on the spot.

The child died in the early hours of Thursday, Japanese foreign minister Yoko Kamikawa told reporters.

"I take the incident extremely seriously," she said.

"This should never happen in any country. Particularly, I sincerely regret that this despicable act was committed against a child on their way to school."

Japan has asked China to provide a detailed explanation of the facts and to take strong safety measures, she added.

Authorities in both Japan and China have not disclosed the nationality or gender of the victim. The website of the Shenzhen Japanese School says it is for children of Japanese nationality, and Japanese media said the victim was a boy.

The local Japanese chamber of commerce has asked the Japanese government to ensure the safety of its nationals in the area, the organisation said in a statement.

The attack took place near the school on the anniversary of an incident in 1931 that triggered war between China and Japan, a sensitive date at a time when diplomatic relations are in danger of deteriorating.

It was the second such attack near a Japanese educational facility in China in recent months.

Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshimasa Hayashi declined to comment on any potential impact of the latest incident on bilateral ties.

In June, a man attacked a bus used by a Japanese school in the eastern city of Suzhou, resulting in the death of a Chinese national who tried to shield a Japanese mother and her child from the assailant.

Also on Wednesday, a Chinese aircraft carrier entered Japan's contiguous waters for the first time, the latest in a string of military manoeuvres that prompted a protest from Tokyo to Beijing.

More from International news

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

News

  • UAE shines in global competitiveness rankings for 2025

    The UAE has maintained its rising performance in the global competitiveness race during the first quarter of 2025 by achieving advanced positions in many relevant international and regional indicators and reports.

  • UAE President marks Senegal independence day

    President His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan has sent a message of congratulations to President Bassirou Diomaye Faye of Senegal on the occasion of his country's Independence Day.

  • UAE expands cancer prevention plan

    The Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP) has reaffirmed its commitment to reducing the incidence of cervical cancer and other HPV-related diseases through a proactive national strategy.