49 dead, dozens injured in Christchurch shootings

At least 49 people have been killed and dozens more injured in shootings at two mosques in Christchurch.

New Zealand's police commissioner Mike Bush confirmed that the death toll had increased after one of the injured died in hospital.

He added that a man in his late 20's has been charged with murder and will appear in court tomorrow.

Four people were arrested following the attack and Bush says that one of those may have had nothing to do with the attack, while the two other people who were detained in possession of firearms are still being investigated.

One of those arrested is an Australian national, according to Australia Prime Minister Scott Morrison.

The shootings occurred at two mosques near the centre of Christchurch and New Zealand police have called for other mosques around the country to close their doors until further notice. Bush says that officers will be standing guard around mosques "to ensure nothing further occurs."

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern described the incident as a "terrorist attack" and says it is “one of New Zealand’s darkest days.” 

More from International news

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

News

  • UAE shines in global competitiveness rankings for 2025

    The UAE has maintained its rising performance in the global competitiveness race during the first quarter of 2025 by achieving advanced positions in many relevant international and regional indicators and reports.

  • UAE President marks Senegal independence day

    President His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan has sent a message of congratulations to President Bassirou Diomaye Faye of Senegal on the occasion of his country's Independence Day.

  • UAE expands cancer prevention plan

    The Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP) has reaffirmed its commitment to reducing the incidence of cervical cancer and other HPV-related diseases through a proactive national strategy.