78 bodies retrieved from closed South African gold mine

Rescued South African miners receiving treatment Photo: CHRISTIAN VELCICH/ AFP/ AFP/ AFP

South African authorities have pulled at least 78 bodies from the shaft of a closed gold mine more than 2 km underground where an unknown number of men are still feared trapped, following a siege in a crackdown on illegal mining.

The siege, which began in August at the mine in the town of Stilfontein, about 150 km from Johannesburg, cut off food and water supplies for months in an attempt to force the miners to the surface so that they could be arrested.

On Monday, authorities used a metal cage to begin recovering men and bodies from the shaft, in an operation expected to run for days.

"We don't know exactly how many people are remaining there," South African Police Minister Senzo Mchunu told broadcaster eNCA. "We are focusing on getting them, assisting them out."

It was difficult to say when all the miners would be brought up, he said, adding, "When each one of the miners who are underground went there, no one was counting."

166 had been rescued by 4:00 p.m. GST, Wednesday

For decades, South Africa's precious metals industry has battled illegal mining, which costs the government and industry hundreds of millions of dollars a year in lost sales, taxes and royalties, a mining industry body estimates.

Typically, it is centred on mines abandoned by companies as they are no longer commercially viable on a large scale. Unlicensed miners, known locally for taking a chance, go in to extract whatever may be left.

The South African government has said the siege of the Stilfontein mine was necessary to fight illegal mining, which Mining Minister Gwede Mantashe called "a war on the economy".

But residents and rights groups have criticised the crackdown, part of an operation called Close the Hole.

More from International news

News

  • UAE shines in global competitiveness rankings for 2025

    The UAE has maintained its rising performance in the global competitiveness race during the first quarter of 2025 by achieving advanced positions in many relevant international and regional indicators and reports.

  • UAE President marks Senegal independence day

    President His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan has sent a message of congratulations to President Bassirou Diomaye Faye of Senegal on the occasion of his country's Independence Day.

  • UAE expands cancer prevention plan

    The Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP) has reaffirmed its commitment to reducing the incidence of cervical cancer and other HPV-related diseases through a proactive national strategy.