Bolivia’s Morales accuses government of trying to kill him

via X

Bolivia's former leader Evo Morales accused the government of his one-time ally Luis Arce of trying to kill him on Sunday after his car was struck by bullets in an early-morning ambush, threatening to ignite a full-on political crisis in the Andean nation.

Morales, whose supporters have been organizing road blockades for weeks to support the legally embattled former president, posted a video on Facebook that shows him in the front passenger seat and bullet holes in the car's windshield. 

"Elite agents of the Bolivian State attempted to take my life today," Morales wrote on social media.

Arce in comments on social media condemned any use of violence in politics and called for an immediate and thorough investigation.

Earlier on Sunday, Arce's deputy security minister promised an investigation into any report "whether it is true or a lie."

The incident occurred with Bolivia already gripped by tensions. Morales supporters have blocked key highways for two weeks, impeding delivery of food and fuel around the country, and clashed with security forces trying to clear the obstacles.

Arce's government on Saturday accused Morales of "destabilizing" the country and trying to "interrupt democratic order."

Morales' claims drew statements of support on Sunday from regional leftist allies, including Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro's foreign minister and former Argentine President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner.

A statement from a Morales-aligned bloc of the socialist MAS political party, itself split with loyalties divided between Morales and Arce, said that his convoy was ambushed near a military barracks by two vehicles with heavily armed men dressed in black.

Video shared with Reuters showed a frantic chase, during which Morales switched cars and his driver was injured.

Reuters could not independently verify the contents of the video or the claims made by Morales and his allies.

A spokesperson for Morales said the former president would hold a press conference later on Sunday and "present evidence connecting the government as the author in the attempt to assassinate Evo Morales."

In a radio interview after the incident, Morales said two vehicles intercepted him on the road and fired upon his car, adding that a bullet passed "centimeters" from his head. The MAS statement said a bullet hit the arm of the second vehicle's driver and another grazed his head.

"If Luis Arce did not give the order for this attempted murder, he should immediately dismiss and prosecute Eduardo del Castillo and Edmundo Novillo, (Arce's) government and defense ministers, along with all the police officers who participated," Morales later wrote on social media.

Bolivia's Deputy Security Minister Roberto Rios told journalists that police had not carried out any operation against Morales.

Morales, who served three terms as president, resigned in 2019 after a disputed election plunged the country into turmoil. Arce, his former economy minister, was elected the following year.

Arce is expected to run for reelection in 2025. Morales also has said he wants to be a candidate next year, splitting the once-hegemonic MAS party into opposing camps that support the current and former presidents.

The statement from the Morales-aligned MAS faction called the attack "evidence that we are facing a fascist government" and said the assailants were seen entering the military barracks and subsequently boarding a helicopter waiting on the airstrip.

Ahead of next year's elections, Bolivia is grappling with dwindling natural gas production, drained foreign currency reserves and rising inflation, which is increasing pressure on the ruling party and leading to increasingly messy political infighting.

Morales is also facing allegations that he had relationships with minors. He was formally summoned by regional prosecutors to testify in the case but did not appear, and now faces an arrest warrant. Morales has denied the accusations.

More from International news

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

News

  • UAE shines in global competitiveness rankings for 2025

    The UAE has maintained its rising performance in the global competitiveness race during the first quarter of 2025 by achieving advanced positions in many relevant international and regional indicators and reports.

  • UAE President marks Senegal independence day

    President His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan has sent a message of congratulations to President Bassirou Diomaye Faye of Senegal on the occasion of his country's Independence Day.

  • UAE expands cancer prevention plan

    The Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP) has reaffirmed its commitment to reducing the incidence of cervical cancer and other HPV-related diseases through a proactive national strategy.