Death toll from Indonesia jail blaze at 44 amid focus on overcrowding

HANDOUT / INDONESIAN MINISTRY OF LAW AND HUMAN RIGHTS / AFP

The death toll from a blaze that tore through an Indonesian jail has risen to 44, as authorities pledged to look at whether more inmates could receive rehabilitation for drug-related offences to ease chronic overcrowding in the prison system.

Wednesday's fire at the penitentiary in Tangerang, on the outskirts of the capital Jakarta, took hold in a prison block housing more than three times the number of prisoners it was designed to contain.

Built for 38 inmates there were 122, mostly imprisoned for drug-related offences, detained at the time of the blaze, which was one of the most deadly in Indonesia in recent years.

The initial death toll stood at 41, but three more prisoners who were suffering severe burns died overnight in hospital, Rika Aprianti, a spokeswoman from the prison department at the Indonesian justice ministry said on Thursday.

The ministry said that all the victims of the fire, which police suspect may have been caused by an electrical fault, were inmates.

The incident has triggered calls for Indonesia to reconsider its strict narcotics laws, which see a disproportionately high number of inmates imprisoned for drug-related offences, including many who are small-time users.

Visiting the site of the fire on Wednesday, Indonesia's chief security minister Mahfud MD said that out of 200,000 inmates detained across the country, more than half were incarcerated for drug-related crimes.

The high rates, he said, warranted a re-evaluation.

"So, I had a discussion with the justice minister. We talked about drug dealers and how they should be punished based on a final verdict," he said.

"But the victims, the users who become victims, we will think about whether they should all be sent to prison or not. Is it better to rehabilitate them?”

More from International news

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

News

  • UAE shines in global competitiveness rankings for 2025

    The UAE has maintained its rising performance in the global competitiveness race during the first quarter of 2025 by achieving advanced positions in many relevant international and regional indicators and reports.

  • UAE President marks Senegal independence day

    President His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan has sent a message of congratulations to President Bassirou Diomaye Faye of Senegal on the occasion of his country's Independence Day.

  • UAE expands cancer prevention plan

    The Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP) has reaffirmed its commitment to reducing the incidence of cervical cancer and other HPV-related diseases through a proactive national strategy.