Death toll from Spain flash floods rises to 62, many missing

AFP

At least 62 people have died in flash floods affecting southeastern Spain, a spokesperson for the regional government of Valencia said on Wednesday.

An hour earlier, the death toll stood at 51 people, while rescue efforts were ongoing following the worst flash flood in Spain in three decades. 

The floods have significantly impacted several areas, particularly the small municipality of Letur in the province of Albacete, where six people were reported missing.

Rescue operations were underway, with emergency services working to reach those trapped by the rising waters. 

Footage shared on social media captures the chaos caused by the floods, showing vehicles being swept away and bridges collapsing.

Emergency services received hundreds of calls from individuals seeking assistance or looking for missing loved ones.

Local officials, including Milagros Tolon, said drones were being used to search for the missing in Letur, emphasising the priority remains on locating individuals in distress.

Spain's state weather agency, AEMET, issued a red alert for the Valencia region and a secondary alert for parts of Andalusia.

In response to the crisis, Valencia city hall has suspended all schools and sporting events, and closed all parks.

Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez expressed his concern on social media, urging citizens to follow the authorities' guidance and to avoid unnecessary travel.

As rescue efforts continue, the situation remains critical, and further updates are expected as the recovery operations progress.

More from International news

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

News

  • UAE shines in global competitiveness rankings for 2025

    The UAE has maintained its rising performance in the global competitiveness race during the first quarter of 2025 by achieving advanced positions in many relevant international and regional indicators and reports.

  • UAE President marks Senegal independence day

    President His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan has sent a message of congratulations to President Bassirou Diomaye Faye of Senegal on the occasion of his country's Independence Day.

  • UAE expands cancer prevention plan

    The Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP) has reaffirmed its commitment to reducing the incidence of cervical cancer and other HPV-related diseases through a proactive national strategy.