Hezbollah launches barrage of rockets into Israel

File Picture

Hezbollah early on Tuesday morning said it launched volleys of rockets at two key bases near Tel Aviv and a naval base west of Haifa.

After a heavy night of Israeli strikes on Lebanon's south and the southern suburbs of its capital, Hezbollah said it had fired rockets at the Glilot base used by Unit 8200 of Israel's military intelligence, and the Nirit area in Tel Aviv's suburbs.

The group said it also fired rockets at a naval base outside of the port city of Haifa further north.

There were no immediate reports of casualties. Israeli authorities said air sirens were activated in areas southeast of Tel Aviv due to one projectile identified crossing from Lebanon and falling in an open area. Other sirens sounded in Tel Aviv.

Israel's multi-layered air defences have intercepted the vast majority of missiles and drones fired at it since the start of the Gaza war.

Hezbollah began launching projectiles into Israel in support of Hamas after Israel began its aggression in Gaza last year. 

The conflict between Hezbollah and Israel intensified in October, with Israel launching a ground incursion into Lebanon and accelerating air raids. Israel has killed many high-ranking Hezbollah officials since, prompting Hezbollah to increase its strikes into Israel. 

On Sunday, a Hezbollah drone targeted Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu's home in Caesarea, although the leader was not at the site. 

More from International news

News

  • UAE shines in global competitiveness rankings for 2025

    The UAE has maintained its rising performance in the global competitiveness race during the first quarter of 2025 by achieving advanced positions in many relevant international and regional indicators and reports.

  • UAE President marks Senegal independence day

    President His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan has sent a message of congratulations to President Bassirou Diomaye Faye of Senegal on the occasion of his country's Independence Day.

  • UAE expands cancer prevention plan

    The Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP) has reaffirmed its commitment to reducing the incidence of cervical cancer and other HPV-related diseases through a proactive national strategy.