Israeli airstrikes on south Lebanon's Nabatieh injure 24

ABBAS FAKIH/AFP

Israeli airstrikes in Nabatieh, a major town in southern Lebanon, injured 24 people on Tuesday, the Lebanese health ministry said.

The Israeli military said in a statement it had attacked Hezbollah vehicles that were transporting weapons on the edge of Nabatieh.

Lebanese caretaker Prime Minister Najib Mikati strongly condemned the two strikes and described them as a violation of the ceasefire arrangement with Israel.

Mikati spoke with US General Jasper Jeffers, who chairs the committee monitoring the ceasefire, in a phone call on Tuesday, Mikati's office said in a statement.

The Lebanese leader urged firm pressure on Israel to guarantee it implements the ceasefire according to international law, the statement said.

Lebanon's Hezbollah group and Israel agreed on a ceasefire in late November, ending a conflict across the Israeli-Lebanese border that has killed thousands of people since it was ignited by the Gaza war in 2023.

The US said on Sunday the agreement between Lebanon and Israel, which included an initial 60-day period for the withdrawal of Israeli troops, would remain in effect until February 18, an extension to the January 26 deadline previously agreed.

Hezbollah chief Naim Qassem said on Monday that the group would not accept any justification to extend the period for Israeli troops' withdrawal from southern Lebanon.

Israeli forces killed at least 24 people and wounded at least 141 in southern Lebanon on Sunday and Monday, the Lebanese health ministry said, as thousands of people tried to return to their homes in the area in defiance of Israeli military orders.

More from International news

News

  • UAE shines in global competitiveness rankings for 2025

    The UAE has maintained its rising performance in the global competitiveness race during the first quarter of 2025 by achieving advanced positions in many relevant international and regional indicators and reports.

  • UAE President marks Senegal independence day

    President His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan has sent a message of congratulations to President Bassirou Diomaye Faye of Senegal on the occasion of his country's Independence Day.

  • UAE expands cancer prevention plan

    The Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP) has reaffirmed its commitment to reducing the incidence of cervical cancer and other HPV-related diseases through a proactive national strategy.