Italy and South Korea raise mpox alert level

WAM

Italy's health ministry and South Korean authorities on Friday said that they had raised diagnostic surveillance for mpox, noting that the situation is under control.

"The epidemiological situation in Italy at the moment is under control as no cases have been ascertained of the new strain (clade I) of pox", the ministry said, as quoted by the Italian news agency (ANSA).

"Our offices are in constant contact with international organizations to elaborate shared measures", said Mara Campitiello, the head of the ministry's department for prevention.

On Friday, the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (CDC) raised its risk alert level for mpox, urging countries to maintain high awareness levels among travellers visiting from affected areas.

On Wednesday, the World Health Organization (WHO) declared mpox a global public health emergency for the second time in two years after an outbreak of the viral infection in the Democratic Republic of Congo that spread to neighbouring African countries.

In Asia, South Korean authorities have decided to ramp up quarantine and surveillance measures, according to the Korean news agency (YONHAP)

The Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency (KDCA) announced the decision after a meeting with medical and academic experts Friday to discuss the potential of mpox entering the country and response strategies.

KDCA officials and experts determined that the current domestic mpox situation remains manageable under existing disease control protocols. However, they decided to enhance quarantine and surveillance efforts without reissuing the crisis alert that was lifted last May.

As of August 9, South Korea had reported 10 mpox cases this year, a decrease from 151 in 2023, according to the KDCA.

The agency noted that all cases this year involved men aged 20 to 40, with nine domestic cases and one linked to overseas travel.

It also reported that it has adequate supplies to respond to any new cases, with 20,000 doses of the Jynneos mpox vaccine and treatments available for 504 people.

"Please avoid close contact with strangers, get tested immediately if you suspect exposure or symptoms and participate in vaccination efforts," said Jee Young-mee, commissioner of the KDCA.

More from International news

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

News

  • UAE shines in global competitiveness rankings for 2025

    The UAE has maintained its rising performance in the global competitiveness race during the first quarter of 2025 by achieving advanced positions in many relevant international and regional indicators and reports.

  • UAE President marks Senegal independence day

    President His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan has sent a message of congratulations to President Bassirou Diomaye Faye of Senegal on the occasion of his country's Independence Day.

  • UAE expands cancer prevention plan

    The Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP) has reaffirmed its commitment to reducing the incidence of cervical cancer and other HPV-related diseases through a proactive national strategy.