New Zealand pilot freed from captivity in Indonesia's Papua

HANDOUT/ CARTENZ PEACE TASK FORCE/ AFP

New Zealand pilot Phillip Mehrtens has been freed more than 19 months after being kidnapped by armed separatists in Indonesia's Papua, authorities said on Saturday.

Mehrtens was freed and picked up by a joint team in the Nduga area and was undergoing health check-ups and a psychological examination in Timika regency, the Indonesian police said in a statement.

A faction of the West Papua National Liberation Army (TPNPB), led by Egianus Kogoya, kidnapped Mehrtens on February 7, 2023, after he landed a small commercial plane in the remote, mountainous area of Nduga.

"Through the long process of negotiation, with patience not to do it repressively, our priority has been the safety of the pilot through this long process," Indonesian President Joko Widodo said in televised remarks.

New Zealand Foreign Minister Winston Peters said, "We are pleased and relieved to confirm that Phillip Mehrtens is safe and well and has been able to talk with his family. This news must be an enormous relief for his friends and loved ones."

A range of New Zealand government agencies had been working with Indonesian authorities and others towards securing Mehrtens' release, Peters said in a statement.

Indonesian Brigadier General Faizal Ramadhani, head of Cartenz 2024 Peace Operations, said, "We are prioritising approach through religious leaders, church leaders, traditional leaders and Egianus Kogoya's close family to minimise casualties and maintain the safety of the pilot."

Another New Zealand pilot, Glen Malcolm Conning, was killed by separatist rebels in Papua in August after landing his helicopter in a remote area, authorities said at the time.

More from International news

  • Two British lawmakers detained by Israel are travelling home

    Two British members of parliament who were refused entry to Israel and briefly detained are travelling back to London, a British minister said on Sunday.

  • Thousands in US and Europe protest against Trump, Musk

    Thousands of protesters gathered in Washington, D.C., and across the U.S. on Saturday, part of some 1,200 demonstrations that were expected to form the largest single day of protest against President Donald Trump and his billionaire ally Elon Musk.

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

News