Philippines' Marcos vows to thwart interference from outside powers

AFP

Philippines President-elect Ferdinand Marcos on Thursday promised to prevent any foreign interference in the running of his country, and to defend sovereign territory and stand up to any Chinese encroachment in the South China Sea.

In his strongest comments yet on how he will handle ties with China, Marcos, who takes office on June 30, said he would resist challenges from Beijing and stick to the 2016 ruling of an international arbitration court that made clear the Philippines' economic entitlements.

"There is no wiggle room there. Our sovereignty is sacred. We will not compromise it in any way," Marcos said in an interview with his new press secretary, which was shown on his Facebook page.

"We are a sovereign nation with a functioning government. We do not need to be told by anyone how to run our own country," he said.

"There is no room for negotiation there. It is sacred, inviolable."

Marcos, the son of the dictator ousted by a 1986 people's revolt, said he would not allow any of the archipelago nation's vast coastline or its 200 nautical mile exclusive economic zone to be infringed.

"How do we do this? We talk to China consistently with a firm voice," Marcos said.

The 64-year-old, who swept this month's election with 59 per cent of the vote, is expected to lean towards China and last week promised to elevate and expand their ties to a new level during a phone conversation with President Xi Jinping.

However, a pro-China stance could complicate the close relationship with historic ally the United States, a key source of defence and diplomatic support that has long been popular among Filipinos and the military. 

China's embassy in Manila did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Marcos said his administration would have an independent foreign policy and recognised that international partnerships were key to a stable region.

"Not only economically but geopolitically, as we emerge from the pandemic and the crisis it brought, we have to form alliance and partnerships," he said.

"No country can change the geopolitical situation on their own. And those are the partnerships that will keep things stable."

More from International news

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

News

  • UAE shines in global competitiveness rankings for 2025

    The UAE has maintained its rising performance in the global competitiveness race during the first quarter of 2025 by achieving advanced positions in many relevant international and regional indicators and reports.

  • UAE President marks Senegal independence day

    President His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan has sent a message of congratulations to President Bassirou Diomaye Faye of Senegal on the occasion of his country's Independence Day.

  • UAE expands cancer prevention plan

    The Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP) has reaffirmed its commitment to reducing the incidence of cervical cancer and other HPV-related diseases through a proactive national strategy.