A wounded Afghan man walks after he received treatment at an Italian aid organisation hospital, following a dozen rockets that struck in Kabul (WAKIL KOHSAR / AFP)
More than a dozen rockets struck Kabul on Tuesday, wounding at least 10 people and prompting some foreign embassies to order a lockdown.
The identity of the attackers was unknown, though an interior ministry spokesman said two suspects had been arrested.
The attack comes at a time when the US is encouraging peace talks between the government and the Taliban, while preparing to withdraw the last US troops to end almost 19 years of war.
"Several rockets were fired from two vehicles," said Tariq Arian, an interior ministry spokesman.
He later added that fourteen rockets landed in different parts of the city, some landing near the Green Zone area, home to many foreign embassies and NATO headquarters.
A senior Western security official told Reuters the diplomatic area was quickly placed under lockdown after the blasts, as workers in embassies took cover in safe rooms.
"All diplomatic officials in embassies in the Green Zone have been moved to safe rooms in the diplomatic district until clearance orders," a senior Western security official added.
The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.
Russia launched a barrage of drones in an overnight attack on Ukraine on Friday, killing at least four people and injuring 35 in the northeastern city of Kharkiv, regional officials said.
Myanmar's junta leader attended a regional summit in Bangkok on Friday, a week after a massive earthquake devastated parts of the impoverished war-torn country, killing more than 3,100, and spurring an appeal for help by the United Nations chief.
The Ministry of Justice said seven companies reportedly based in the UAE and sanctioned by the United States for ties to Sudan do not operate in the country.
Dubai Police announced on Friday it arrested 222 beggars during Ramadan and Eid, after a campaign was launched under the slogan “An Aware Society, Free of Begging,” in partnership with other government entities.