Southern Gaza under bombardment after Israel-Hamas truce collapses

AFP

Israel has called on residents of the northern Gaza Strip to evacuate their homes and move to the south as it pressed its offensive against Hamas with renewed force after the collapse of a truce.

The Israeli military demanded the evacuation of areas in Khirbet Khuza'a, Abasan, Bani Suhaila, Ma’an, and Al-Qarara, and instructed residents to head to Rafah and Al-Mawasi humanitarian zones.

It comes as Israeli air strikes and artillery bombardments hit Khan Younis in the south of the Gaza Strip on Saturday.

The military said that in the last 24 hours combined attacks by its ground, air and naval forces had hit 400 militant targets and killed an unspecified number of Hamas fighters.

Hamas media said about 200 Palestinians had been killed since the end of the truce - adding to the more than 15,000 dead in Gaza since the start of the war, according to health authorities.

The warring sides blamed each other for the collapse of the seven-day truce, during which Hamas had released hostages in exchange for Palestinian prisoners held in Israeli jails.

The UN said the fighting would worsen an extreme humanitarian emergency.

The conflict broke out on October 7 when Hamas militants crossed into southern Israel and killed 1,200 people, mostly civilians. More than 200 hostages were taken back in Gaza.

More from International news

News

  • UAE shines in global competitiveness rankings for 2025

    The UAE has maintained its rising performance in the global competitiveness race during the first quarter of 2025 by achieving advanced positions in many relevant international and regional indicators and reports.

  • UAE President marks Senegal independence day

    President His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan has sent a message of congratulations to President Bassirou Diomaye Faye of Senegal on the occasion of his country's Independence Day.

  • UAE expands cancer prevention plan

    The Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP) has reaffirmed its commitment to reducing the incidence of cervical cancer and other HPV-related diseases through a proactive national strategy.