Spain confirms Europe's first monkeypox-related death

Shuttestock / Arif Biswas

Spain has reported its first monkeypox-related death in what is Europe's first-known death and the second outside of Africa in the current outbreak.

The country's health ministry confirmed the death today. In its latest report, the Spanish Health Ministry said 4,298 cases had been confirmed in the country.

The report had information on 3,750 patients, out of which 120 had been hospitalised, which accounted for 3.2 per cent. It also included the death of one person.

Brazil reported the first monkeypox-related death outside the African continent in the current outbreak earlier on Friday.

Earlier this month, the head of the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the monkeypox outbreak a "global health emergency".

More from International news

  • Two British lawmakers detained by Israel are travelling home

    Two British members of parliament who were refused entry to Israel and briefly detained are travelling back to London, a British minister said on Sunday.

  • Thousands in US and Europe protest against Trump, Musk

    Thousands of protesters gathered in Washington, D.C., and across the U.S. on Saturday, part of some 1,200 demonstrations that were expected to form the largest single day of protest against President Donald Trump and his billionaire ally Elon Musk.

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

News