Trump appeals disqualification from Maine primary ballot

AFP

Donald Trump has appealed a decision from Maine’s top election official disqualifying him from the state’s 2024 Republican presidential primary ballot over his role in the January 6, 2021, attack on the US Capitol.

Trump, the frontrunner for the Republican nomination for November's U.S. presidential election, asked a state Superior Court on Tuesday to reverse a decision from Secretary of State Shenna Bellows barring Trump from the March 5 primary ballot, a court filing showed.

Bellows, a Democrat, concluded that Trump incited an insurrection in an attempt to hold onto power following his defeat in the 2020 election and was disqualified from holding office again under the US Constitution.

Trump's lawyers argued in a court filing that the decision was "the product of a process infected by bias and pervasive lack of due process." His legal team disputed that Trump took part in an insurrection and argued that Bellows did not have the authority to exclude him from the ballot.

The ruling came after a group of former Maine lawmakers petitioned Bellows to keep Trump off the ballot, arguing that he could not serve as president under a provision of the US Constitution that bars people from holding office if they engaged in "insurrection" after swearing an oath to the United States.

"I have confidence in my decision and in the rule of law," Bellows said in a statement after the appeal was filed.

Advocacy groups and some anti-Trump voters have brought several challenges to Trump’s candidacy under the provision, known as Section 3 of the 14th Amendment. The lawsuits have argued that Trump incited his supporters to violence by spreading false claims that the 2020 election was stolen and then urged them to descend upon the Capitol to stop Congress from certifying Democrat Joe Biden's victory.

The US Supreme Court is likely to consider the issue soon, after Colorado’s top court barred Trump from the primary ballot in that state. A ruling from the Supreme Court could provide a nationwide resolution to questions surrounding Trump’s eligibility.

Several similar lawsuits filed against Trump in other states have been rejected by courts. Trump’s campaign has called the ballot challenges a “hostile assault on American democracy.”

Opinion polls show Trump with a commanding lead in the Republican nominating contest. State-by-state contests to select a nominee begin on January 15 in Iowa.

More from International news

  • Israeli attacks on Gaza killed 60 people in 24 hours

    Israeli occupation forces committed multiple massacres against families in the Gaza Strip over the past 24 hours, resulting in the killing of at least 60 Palestinians and the injury of 162 others, according to medical reports.

  • Trump fires National Security Agency director

    U.S. President Donald Trump fired General Timothy Haugh as director of the National Security Agency on Thursday, according to two officials familiar with the decision, and congressional Democrats denounced the removal of the nonpartisan official from a top security post.

  • Israel steps up Syria strikes, says Turkey aims for 'protectorate'

    Israel stepped up airstrikes on Syria, declaring the attacks a warning to the new rulers in Damascus as it accused their ally Turkey of trying to turn the country into a Turkish protectorate.

  • US sending Israel 20,000 assault rifles that Biden delayed

    The Trump administration moved forward with the sale of more than 20,000 US-made assault rifles to Israel last month, according to a document seen by Reuters, pushing ahead with a sale that the administration of former president Joe Biden had delayed.

News

  • UAE shines in global competitiveness rankings for 2025

    The UAE has maintained its rising performance in the global competitiveness race during the first quarter of 2025 by achieving advanced positions in many relevant international and regional indicators and reports.

  • UAE President marks Senegal independence day

    President His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan has sent a message of congratulations to President Bassirou Diomaye Faye of Senegal on the occasion of his country's Independence Day.

  • UAE expands cancer prevention plan

    The Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP) has reaffirmed its commitment to reducing the incidence of cervical cancer and other HPV-related diseases through a proactive national strategy.