US President Donald Trump has announced his plans to temporarily suspend all immigration into the country amid the coronavirus pandemic.
He took to Twitter to announce his decision, claiming it is aimed at protecting American jobs.
"In light of the attack from the Invisible Enemy, as well as the need to protect the jobs of our GREAT American Citizens, I will be signing an Executive Order to temporarily suspend immigration into the United States," he wrote on Twitter.
The leader, however, did not detail which immigration programme will be impacted by the order.
Even, the White House did not to elaborate on Trump's Twitter announcement.
Meanwhile, several Democrats described it as his ploy to divert attention from his administration's slow response to the coronavirus.
So far, the US has more than 792,000 positive cases and over 42,000 fatalities.
At least seven migrants have died, including one boy, one girl and two women, after their boat sank off the Greek island of Lesbos, Greece's coastguard said on Thursday.
The death toll from Myanmar's devastating earthquake has surpassed 3,000, with hundreds more missing, as forecasts of unseasonal rain presented a new challenge for rescue and aid workers trying to reach people in a country riven by civil war.
Russian forces unleashed an hour-long barrage of drones on Kharkiv, Ukraine's second city, late on Wednesday, triggering a number of fires but causing no casualties in the second such attack in the course of the day, the regional governor said.
Hamas decided not to respond or engage with Israel's counter-proposal for a ceasefire in Gaza, an official told Reuters on Wednesday, affirming it is committed to the mediators' plan instead.
Dubai Police handled a total of 45,845 phone calls during the recent Eid Al-Fitr holiday through its Command and Control Centre and the 901 Call Centre.