US, Japan, Australia and Philippines to hold South China Sea exercises

Shutterstock

The Defence forces of the US, Japan, Australia and the Philippines will conduct "maritime cooperative activity" on April 7 to support a free and open Indo-Pacific amid China's growing assertiveness in the waterway.

The countries said on Saturday.

The one-day maritime exercises will involve communication activities and officer of the watch manoeuvres in Manila's exclusive economic zone (EEZ) in the South China Sea, Philippines' defence ministry spokesperson Arsenio Andolong told reporters.

Littoral combat ship USS Mobile, Australian frigate HMAS Warramunga and Japanese destroyer JS Akebono will join two Philippine warships, Andolong said.

"They will go from the south to the north, encompassing the boundary of the western and northern command," he said.

The joint statement said the activity will strengthen the interoperability of the countries' armed forces doctrines, tactics, techniques, and procedures.

The four nations have reaffirmed their position that the 2016 South China Sea Arbitral Tribunal Award is final and legally binding.

The maritime activity takes place days before a summit between the leaders of Japan, the US and the Philippines, which will include a discussion of recent incidents in the South China Sea.

Since taking power in 2022, Philippines President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. has pursued warmer ties with the US and other Western nations and adopted a tough line against what he sees as Chinese hostility, turning away from his predecessor's pro-Beijing stance.

The Philippines and China had several maritime run-ins last month, including the use of water cannons and heated verbal exchanges, which have triggered concern about an escalation at sea.

China's embassy in Manila did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Beijing claims sovereignty over almost the entire South China Sea, which rankled neighbouring countries that dispute some boundaries they say cut into their exclusive economic zones.

Brunei, Malaysia, Taiwan, and Vietnam have competing claims of sovereignty in portions of the South China Sea, a passage through which $3 trillion (AED 11 trillion) in goods move every year.

More from International news

News

  • UAE shines in global competitiveness rankings for 2025

    The UAE has maintained its rising performance in the global competitiveness race during the first quarter of 2025 by achieving advanced positions in many relevant international and regional indicators and reports.

  • UAE President marks Senegal independence day

    President His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan has sent a message of congratulations to President Bassirou Diomaye Faye of Senegal on the occasion of his country's Independence Day.

  • UAE expands cancer prevention plan

    The Ministry of Health and Prevention (MoHAP) has reaffirmed its commitment to reducing the incidence of cervical cancer and other HPV-related diseases through a proactive national strategy.